Image Map

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

One word

Each year for the past 5 years I have chosen a word to focus on for the year.  I found the idea on Ali Edwards' blog.  For the past 3 years I have also chosen a Scripture verse as inspiration for my words.  This has given me much more focus and has reminded me where to put my focus - above, not here on earth.  

This year my verse came to me and wouldn't let me go.  It was just something that I have been working on physically and spiritually.  It is I Corinthians 10:23 - "Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is is permissible, but not everything is constructive."  Paul is explaining that even though we have freedom in Christ, this doesn't mean that everything is helpful to us or others as they observe our walk with Christ.  

For me, this verse is really working on me.  I am really trying to be a healthier person physically, and while this may mean some weight loss, it is also really me asking what is best for my body.  Is it permissible for me to eat 8 cookies in a night?  Yes, but is it beneficial?  Most definitely not.  This question kind of takes it out of a good/bad struggle, and makes me think more about what I want my end result to be, and what kind of example I am being to my children and people around me.  The same applies for my decisions on how I spend my time.  I can say no to good things because even though it's good and I have the permission to do them, it may not be beneficial to me, my family or my relationship with the Lord.  So my word this year is "beneficial".  

If you have chosen a word for the year, I'd love to hear about it.  Please share what the word is and how you chose it, or it chose you!  Let's encourage each other in love as we work for the eternal life ahead of us!  

No comments :