Image Map

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review Tuesday

Tonight I am leading the women's book club at my church.  I have been leading it for over 5 years now.  It is one of my loves.  Actually reading anything period is one of my loves.  I have always loved to read.  It started young when my family didn't have a television.  Not because we couldn't afford it, but because my parents believed it wasn't good for us as children or for us as a family.  Can you even imagine your home without a television?  I never knew what I was missing.  We read through series of books together as we read every night before bed and any time we couldn't wait to find out what happened next in the book.  We played lots of board games together as a family.  And we went on bike rides through our neighborhood in the summer with my sister and I on the back of my parents' bikes.  It was good.  I learned to love to read and it has stayed with me.  We finally did get a tv when my grandfather came to stay with my sister and I when my parents had to go away on a trip.  He wouldn't stay without one!

I thought it might be fun to review the books we read for book club so if any of you out there want to read some good (mostly) Christian fiction you can have some recommended to you.  Tonight we are discussing Not A Sparrow Falls by Linda Nichols.  It isn't a new book, but it is fabulous.  It is about a young woman who is saved as a child, but her family falls apart and she ends up in a very bad situation.  She manages to get out of it, start anew under an assumed name and meets a prominent minister's family who is struggling to hold it together after the loss of a family member and the demands of a high profile ministry.  Their lives connect and intertwine.  Ultimately it is a story of redemption and how nothing is too awful for God to redeem.  My favorite quote of the book is "You cannot out sin the cross."

Next month we are reading A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander.  I cannot wait to start it!  Let me know if you ever want to join us in person.  We'd love to have you!

1 comment :

Mama to A&A said...

Of course, I wouldn't be able to join you in person, but I would LOVE to have book recommendations from you! I read voraciously, too, and love getting recommendations. A good one I read recently is This Fine Life by Eva Marie Everson.

Kelley Anderson