Image Map

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Kindergarten musings


So the first full week of kindergarten is over and we have had a great week. Aubrey has loved school, but frequently tells me the funnest part of his day is "coming home". You know I love this, but I know he is having a blast at school too.


He has had some funny things this week starting on Tuesday on our way to school. He said, "I don't like going to school every day. Being five is hard." And as much as I wanted to empathize, I bit my tongue because I think being 34 is pretty tough at times. That afternoon when I picked him up from school, the principal put him in the car and said, "You know you have a talker here." I laughed and told her I did know that. (though I have no idea where he gets it from!)


The next morning on Wednesday, Aubrey looked out the window and it was raining. He came into the kitchen and said, "I guess we don't have school today." I said, "Why?" He said, "Because it's raining!" I explained to him that we don't usually go to school if it snows or is icy, but we do go if it's just raining. I stopped the principal that morning and asked her if her remark the previous afternoon was a polite way of telling me that my son needed to stop talking so much. She said, "No, he's hilarious! We talked to the kindergarten classes about expectations, and Aubrey had a remark for everything we said. But, they were all relevant, and very funny. I love talking to him!" That made me feel better. Of course, it didn't last for long when he came home and told me he had to move his clip for playing in the bathroom. I knew he would move his clip eventually - he is a 5 year old boy, but I thought we would make it past the first week!!! Anyway, his teacher told me not to worry about it - that he wasn't being bad, just a boy. He had already told me, "Mom, it's just yellow!" (which is just a warning on their new behavior system and was word for word what his teacher told him) So, I'm learning not to freak out, and he didn't move it again - yet. He has already forgotten his backpack, only eaten Cheetos for lunch and gotten spit on by a little boy waiting for me to pick him up. You know - all the normal kindergarten travails.


Mallory starts 2 day a week pre-school on Tuesday. I almost backed out of it last week when I really thought about leaving her. But she needs some time away from me. She's a momma's girl, and clings to me way too much. This will be good for both of us, as I'm going to help out in Aubrey's class each Tuesday, and she will learn to be on her own a little. We're all learning this year.

6 comments :

our little family said...

promise me that you'll write about all his cute little (or a LOT!) sayings from his Kindergarten year!! I love it! Ya know, I personally like the students who talk a lot because they are so much more interesting...seriously! glad to hear things are going well. Loved what you shared w/ me about growing up in florida.

Kim said...

Glad Aubrey had a good first full week of big K. It doesn't surprise me that he usually has lots to say, he is so funny!

Jeff and Amy McKissick said...

i love kid sayings!!!!

Garretts said...

love the post. hope mallory's first week goes well too. hope aubrey does okay in the ER.

kriswalls said...

I am so glad kindergarten is going well for Aubrey. Reading about him is making me miss the classroom and all the sweet babies. I pray he continues to have a fabulous year!

Jennifer Davis said...

Oh my...my dd starts Kindergarten in two weeks. =) Trying to prepare myself!